The January Mentoring Memo
Each issue of Just ASK’s Mentoring Memo features a mentoring calendar for the current time of the year. The January mentoring calendar is included in this issue. This monthly calendar, excerpted and updated from The 21stCentury Mentor’s Handbook, offers suggestions for mentoring actions to support novice teachers and teachers new to the district. When you check out the calendar, you will quickly see how useful they can be in your mentoring work.
Why reinvent the wheel? We are happy to provide you with over 60 online tools and templates for immediate use in your mentoring work. To make your task of identifying which tools might be most useful to you right now, they are organized into these categories:
- Tools for New Teachers
- Tools for Mentors
- Tools for Peer Observation and Data-Driven Discussions
- Tools for Instructional Planning.
You can access these tools three ways
- Go to the Just ASK Resource Center that features multiple copyright-free resources for your use
- Click on the red apple icon that reads “Just ASK Tools and Templates”
- Sign in and you are ready to access not only the tools and templates for The 21st Century Mentor’s Handbook, you can select to immediately access the tools and templates for several other Just ASK books.
- Make your choices. We would love to hear which ones you use and how you use them.
- Go to the Just ASK webpage featuring The 21st Century Mentor’s Handbook
- Click on the green button under the picture of the book that reads “Access online tools”
- Sign in
- Take a look at the list of tools and templates from The 21st Century Mentor’s Handbook and the “flip book” by Issuu of tools and templates full screen
- Choose the ones you want and download them immediately!
- Go to the Mentoring and Induction Resources page on the Just ASK website
- Check out the amazing mentoring resources available for your non-commercial use today
- Click on the picture of The 21st Century Mentor’s Handbook with the subtitle: Online Tools and Templates
- Sign in and enjoy!
Messages for Mentors
This Just ASK video features an inspiring collection of comments from new teachers who have just finished their first year of teaching. We put it together to celebrate all that mentors do to support new teachers. Many districts use it at the closing of their mentoring workshops at the opening of school; others report that it is always a hit anytime they use it throughout the school year. Enjoy it yourself and then share it with all the mentors you know and support.
Just ASK Mentoring Statistics
- Over 7,000 educators involved in mentoring work have attended one of our national institutes or our district-based mentoring workshops.
- Over 850 of our award-winning Mentoring in the 21st Century® Resource Kits and New Teacher Professional Development Kits are being used in districts across the country.
- Over 600,000 mentors and novice teachers have in their hands our The 21st Century Mentor’s Handbook or our new teacher’s book Why Didn’t I Learn This in College?